Monday, February 28, 2011

Conscience or Consciousness

What does intrigue me is the subject of Conscience or Consciousness. I think therefore I am, I think therefore you are, without me would you be?. That transposes itself into morality and why we mainly do the ‘right thing’ irrespective of religiosity. Morality is inherent in human behaviour as Mr Hitchens so often says it was around long before Jesus Christ walked the earth. I also take it as an insult to suggest that we act and do as we do because some omnipotent being deems it be so and, do so in fear of retribution or to receive some reward.
It is my thought that our brains over the thousands of years are subject to a sort of advanced evolution. This transfers itself to the DNA . A learned process that doing the right thing perhaps produces some pheromone that is pleasant or conversely does not cause stress. This is not evident in all humans of course. The deviants are the psychopaths and those who are perhaps without empathy or sympathy.
Yes I am beginning to understand the beginnings and creation of life thanks to the teaching and wonderful explanations of Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins. It is migraine stimulation stuff to get my head around but I am getting there. The question of consciousness is fascinating and I think that I am right in saying that Daniel Dennett is also a fervent studier of this topic.
I will continue to study, any reading suggestions welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment